Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A camel was suddenly not as interesting anymore.

This blog post was supposed to be called "The day a camel escaped into Kamukunji", because untill 2 o'clock in the afternoon that was the most interesting thing that had happened today. At that particular time I was coming from town, and after paying a ridiculous amount of money in registration fee for the "Test Of English as a Foreign Language" I was pondering how to manage through the rest of the week with 200 shillings (15 NOK) left in my pocket.


(John, also called Nusu (=Half) and Simon)

As I turned the corner to get to my house a sight met me that was going to make my day a lot more interesting: 7 kids were sitting outside my front door, their shabby appearance far outweighed by the smiles on their faces.
- Kristina, we have come to visit! We have been waiting for you.

(The guys really went crazy with my camera.)

A moment later my house was filled to the breaking point of 10 to 15 year-olds exploring, playing on the computer, taking photos and doing every other thing that can be done in my tiny Kamukunji house. 70 out of my 200 shillings were spent on bread and tea to feed my hungry visitors.


("Do like Jackie Chan!!")

With the fun we were having we barely noticed that it was about to get dark. I asked the guys if they shouldn't be getting back "home" to town soon.
- Uhum... Yeah... was the only answer I got. Then Kevo, the non-formal leader of the group, found courage and told me what they were all thinking.
- We were kind of hoping we could spend the night here?


(Nusu and "Ndogo" (=small). Ndogo spent the evening washing dishes and cleaning up the house. When  tried to ask him to sit down and rest he chased me away.)

So that is how Carol and I ended up hosting seven kids for a sleepover tonight. As night fell I wondered how I would make sure my guests would not be left hungry: I was still pennyless and the house did not have anything but a few tomatoes and some maize flour. I started making "uji" (maize flour porridge), apologizing for not having anything else to offer them.


(With a bit of creativity anything becomes a good motif, even a pen.)

As I was cooking the kids ran outside, and soon they came back with some small mandazi (doughnuts) and chips, bought with the few shillings they had brought along.
- Phew, at least they won't have to sleep hungry, I thought. And as my mother instincts were running overtime I decided I didn't care whether I would take supper myself. Then I heard Kevo calling my name.
- Kristina! Let's share my mandazi! That's what we do right? We help each other with what we have!
Soon all the kids were coming, each giving me part of the little food they had bought.


(A somehow stressed Kristina trying to make sure nothing it broken in the midst of the fun and games.)

As we shared this small meal, I was almost moved to tears. I thought to myself that this is what the family of God is all about. So many times I have helped people out financially and said "I know you will do the same thing back the day I am the one struggling". But to be honest I had never thought that day would come so soon. Having a street-kid sharing his supper with me so that I wouldn't sleep hungry, it really humbled me. And it reminded me once again that before God we are all equal: that there is no giving and receiving side in His kingdom. We all receive, and we are all to share of what we receive.


(It was a memorable night for all of us.)

And now, as I am writing this post looking at 7 boys sound asleep on mattresses on my floor, I can only thank God for all that He has given me: education, tons of experiences, the ability to travel around the world; and tonight He gave me seven little friends who helped me out in a rough situation.
Tonight psalm 14 makes sense: "Fools say in their heart: There is no God". 

No comments:

Post a Comment