Monday, November 30, 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday I was in Mathare doing meetings the whole day, followed by an overnight-prayer in the same-same place.
Today I am on the other side of town, visiting the Scandinavian settlings of Nairobi.


(Photo taken from the internet)

Yesterday I spent the night on a couch in a used-to-be hair salon next door to the shanties of the valley.
Today I am sleeping wrapped in a cozy comforter, in a bed that could fit at least two people.


(Photo taken from the internet)

Yesterday I woke up and realized that there was no water to take a shower or even wash my hands.
Today I am spending my morning hours in a private swimming pool.


(Photo taken from the internet)

Yesterday I had to go to the local church in order to find a toilet.
Today I am spending in a house that has two.


(Photo taken from the internet)

Yesterday I paid 70 bob for a plate of pilau in a worn-down Swahili hotel in Eastleigh.
Today I am paying 250 Kenyan shillings for a serving of "risengrynsgraut" at the Swedish school.


(Photo taken from the internet)

Yesterday I witnessed urban melancholy at its best, when the rappers of M.I.Faya put the frustration of growing up in the slums into words.
Today I am chilling to jazz-muzak as I am taking coffee in an uptown-mall.

(Photo taken from the internet)

But somehow, yesterday I felt at home.
And today every single bit of assurance of who I am and where I belong has been shaken to the bone.


(Photo taken from the internet)

It's funny how I have not missed Norway for a single day since I came.
But the moment I leave the ghettos of the Eastlands behind, is when I feel homesick.


(Photo taken from the internet)

"You don't need comfort in order to be fulfilled."
(Pastor Jeff)

1 comment:

  1. Du opplever virkelig kontrastene på nært hold jah..SKulle ønske jeg var der med deg! alt virker så spennede.. Så bra at du ikke har savnet hjemme før nå da.. Det betyr jo at du har det bra !
    Kjempe glad i deg darlin!

    ReplyDelete