Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Eastlands irony

Yesterday Ragnhild and I went for a walk in Mathare to visit some other Norwegians working in the area. We had, as usual, greeted a few kids along the way (how are you mzungu!), passed by colourfully dressed ladies with babies tied to their backs and groups of men on the sidewalk, eating roasted corn and discussing the latest news. My thoughts are always the same as I move around this said-to-be violent and dangerous area: "This isn't so bad, these people are great! Friendly, peaceful, hospitable...".




I expressed my ideas to Ragnhild, saying that "when I get back to Norway, I'll make it my main cause to change peoples' prejudice about this place. I'll make them understand that it's perfectly safe and indeed pleasant to be here!". Same-old impulsive and optimistic me, I did it again.




As we were just about to reach our work-place, a girl maybe 8 years old approaches us. "That side is bad,", she says, pointing down the road. "What do you mean, bad?" I replied. An 8 year-old should never have to bear news like the ones she gave us a moment after: "People are fighting just over there. They have pangas (machetes)".




We were of course shaken by what we heard, and we went back to the centre we work at. Luckily the riot was not very big and quite far from where we were, so at no point were we in danger. Still, bearing in mind what happened in Mathare just two years back, the incident made me rethink my concept of this "peaceful and pleasant" place.




As I dive deeper into the cross-cultural experience, I am learning that nothing is completely black or white. Sure, there is a lot of prejudice against Mathare, and many rumours that have nothing to do with the truth. The place is indeed peaceful and pleasant... most of the time.




But at the same time I would not pay full respect to my friends who live there, if I did not acknowledge the hardships that they go through. Riots, mob-violence, death and disease might be hidden by a smile or consoled by trust in God, but that does not make it disappear.




Every day I learn something new. Yesterday God showed me, like many times before, that life consists of happiness and suffering, and one does not eliminate the other. The art of life is to know how to grow by acknowledging and learning from both.




I hope I'll someday get the hang of it...
(Pictures by Audhild Rue and Miriam C. Lilledrange)



1 comment:

  1. Hei, Kristina! Så bra blogg du har, gøy å lese. Og nydelige bilder! Virker som om du stortrives :) Vi lever virkelig i to forskjellige verdener dette halvåret, selv om vi er på samme kontinent! Gleder meg til å se deg igjen, og se Kenya, på infield :) Klem fra Pernille

    ReplyDelete