Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Stuck in traffic" reflections

For some strange reason, this was written on a bus I saw in town today:
"co·zy /ˈkoʊzi/ [koh-zee]: snugly warm and comfortable, protected from unpleasantness".

Among us "exchange junkies" it's a well known fact that one is not truly Norwegian untill he or she understands the meaning of "koselig" or "cozy". No one can "kose seg" like Norwegians. And surely, we are very well protected from unpleasantness.



At the sidewalk behind the bus I saw a man. Maybe 30 years old; his hands and feet were too deformed for him to even be able to walk. Deprived of the ability to work because of his handicap, he was begging on the street of Nairobi. The word "cozy" is so far from his reality, it probably has no meaning to him.

Soon I'll be back in "koselige" Norway. But I doubt whether I will be able to "kose meg" like I did before. Reason? After six months of knowing poverty, hunger, corruption, crime and drug abuse by name, I am no longer protected from unpleasantness.



But I thank God. I would prefer knowing what I know today over "cozyness" anytime  

No comments:

Post a Comment